Sunday 11 October 2015

Hockey Card Stories #6: The Unknowns

           In this Hockey Card Stories Post, I need someone to tell me the stories, because I have no idea. The cards in this blog post have shadowed backstories. Their situation is a mystery to me, and if anyone can figure it out, let me know, because these cards are strange. I was not necessarily the first owner, so I really have no clue.

WILLIE MITCHELL OPC PARALLEL PARALLEL?
As far as I know, I actually am the original owner of these cards, but there is some print error on the one on the right. There are small black markings all over the card, and if you reflect the light right, they almost expand, and it looks like ink running down the card. A strange parallel to a parallel.

TINY INACCURATE CHECKLIST?
This Esso NHL All-Star Collection Jacques Laperriere has some false information on the checklist on the back. This is the only Esso card I have in my entire collection. According to the checklist, I have Pierre Pilote, Norm Ullman, Ed Giacomin, Bernie Parent, Serge Savard, Mike Bossy, Lanny McDonald, Rick Middleton, Al MacInnis, and Paul Coffey. I have none of these cards, and I did not mark down the checklist.

REALLY ZOOMED-OUT CARD?
This looks like someone took an eraser in Corel Print House to the picture and then slapped it on a hockey card. I've seen some bad airbrushes in my time. But this, just erasing a whole part of the picture and then zooming out on it is just ridiculous. Also, this card was from 95-96, so most bad airbrush jobs should have been eliminated. So weird.

THE WORST DIE-CUT CARDS IN HISTORY?
No, these three cards are not die-cut. They are merely the result of the horrible cutting of a 1990 Kraft Dinner box. Whoever cut these cards out needs to know how to handle a pair of scissors. This is always the risk of getting cards from cereal boxes and things like that; there's always the risk of ending up with an absolutely brutal card.

MY FIRST AUTO CARD?
If this autograph is indeed legitimate, this will have been my first autographed card. However, I have no proof that this is the authentic autograph of Chris Hawes. It certainly looks real. I picked this up (I think) from some person who was giving away boxes of assorted cards, and this was in one. Chris Hawes wasn't the greatest player though, so if this is a real auto, it's not worth much.

Thanks for reading! If you can explain these cards, please do so! Keep updated for more hockey card posts!





No comments:

Post a Comment